666 - Parking of THE BEAST
I maintain that there are three great Manly Arts remaining in our almost-completely-gender-equitable modern world:
A 3x6 is a parallel park with no more than six inches between your bumpers and the cars in front and behind you, and no more than six inches from the curb. That's right--you have to be centered in a space no more than a foot longer than your car, and six or less inches from the curb. The first time I did it, I ran upstairs to get a camera so I could take a picture. I shouted my triumph to Fraulein M, who gave me a look of utter disinterest and went back to the phone. I insisted she tell her friend on the phone what I'd done--he was suitably impressed (being a guy) and asked me to save him the picture.
I've done it several times since then, since I park on the street every day. I admit I'm not always willing to work for it, but the satisfaction is intense whenever I pull it off. Not to brag (well, maybe a little), but after doing one last week on the first approach with less than five back-and-forths, I began to wonder if the challenge was fading. Then I realized what would take it to the next level: the mind-bending possibility of a left-handed 3x6! Dare a mere mortal attempt such a test of parking skill on a non-closed course without a professional driver? My much-abused bumpers will tell the tale...
- Taking out the trash
- Grilling over open flame
- Parallel parking
A 3x6 is a parallel park with no more than six inches between your bumpers and the cars in front and behind you, and no more than six inches from the curb. That's right--you have to be centered in a space no more than a foot longer than your car, and six or less inches from the curb. The first time I did it, I ran upstairs to get a camera so I could take a picture. I shouted my triumph to Fraulein M, who gave me a look of utter disinterest and went back to the phone. I insisted she tell her friend on the phone what I'd done--he was suitably impressed (being a guy) and asked me to save him the picture.
I've done it several times since then, since I park on the street every day. I admit I'm not always willing to work for it, but the satisfaction is intense whenever I pull it off. Not to brag (well, maybe a little), but after doing one last week on the first approach with less than five back-and-forths, I began to wonder if the challenge was fading. Then I realized what would take it to the next level: the mind-bending possibility of a left-handed 3x6! Dare a mere mortal attempt such a test of parking skill on a non-closed course without a professional driver? My much-abused bumpers will tell the tale...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home