Thursday, August 03, 2006

Summer Food II: God save the Queen (of pizza)!

The fraulien and I spent a couple of days wandering around Boston after we visited Block Island and had our transformative Del's Lemonade experience. We followed the Freedom Trail, which led us past many sights described as, "here's where a bunch of rabble-rousers met to whip up public sentiment prior to the revolution," or "this stoplight is where the Boston Massacre took place," etc. The bonus part is that the Freedom Trail (for us) ended up in the North End, the "little Italy" of Boston. Every other storefront is an Italian restaurant, but I have to say the real selling point is the pastry. Fraulein M's already put up a post of dessert porn, so I won't add to the rant (except to note that the canollis did, in fact, kick ass).

Anyhow, we got there around lunchtime on our last day in town, and figured we'd check out the pizza place that the nice lady at the shoe store recommended (yes, the fraulein's "M" stood for "Manolo" on our little outing). The place was Pizzeria Regina, and it was several blocks off the main drag. It didn't open until noon; we were 15 minutes early, and there was already a pretty good line of people waiting to get in--always a good sign. The initial rush filled the place entirely, so we were lucky to have arrived early. And the pizza!

Oh, my, the pizza. I admit I generally gravitate toward very thin, crispy crusts. Regina's pizza is a bit doughier, pleasantly yeasty and perfectly cooked--firm, just below crispy, chewy and tender. The toppings were first-rate, the sauce flavorful without being overwhelming. The balance of flavors and textures was just about perfect. How much did I like the pizza? I have two desktop pictures on my PDA--one's Fraulein M, and the other one is this:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home